Supporting Love Without Boundaries

Join me as I share my trials and tribulations as a new runner. What started off as a goal to run a half-marathon (when I could barely run 3 miles) to raise money for Love Without Boundaries quickly became a way of life. I encourage you to follow along, laugh with me, and learn from my mistakes. Overall, just realize that I'm not out to win any races, but my goal is self-improvement. In the last 2 years I've lost 50 lbs and reclaimed my LOVE for life! And if I can do it, so can YOU!


Sunday, December 23, 2012

8 days til the big day!

In 8 days, I will run my second half marathon. One year ago, I didn't run a single step.

One year ago, I was getting over a sprained toe, which limited me to the elliptical. I could hardly walk, but I could push my feet and legs on the elliptical, and that's what I did. For two whole months. I watched the Biggest Loser, and at that point I had already lost 18 lbs, but still had many more to go. I had hit a plateau, and wished that I could try to run.

Yesterday I set out for 9 miles and ended up with 10 (I am sensing a pattern here...). Today I went out for 4 hard miles with hills (remember, hard for me is probably not hard for other runners, but definitely hard for someone who doesn't run at all, right?). I really believe I am ready for this half marathon--as ready as I can be.

So what are my goals?

1. To finish. As long as I finish, I win!
2. To finish in 2:24 would be really great. That would be right around 11 min miles. (11x13.1=144min=2.4 hours = 2 hr 24 min.
3. Anything under 2:24 would be icing on the cake.

I told my husband, anything over 2:25 means that something went very wrong...let's hope that doesn't happen. My first (and only) half was in June and my time was 2:38. My goal was 2:35, but I had to make two stops--bathroom and to take off my coat, which meant repinning my bib. Well, won't have the repinning issue since a bought a fuel belt! I also had a massive flu bug one week before, so really, 2:38 was a time I could be happy with...then, not now.

So now, I have to figure out my taper plan. I've been reading and reading...basically, I need to rest my legs, but not too much. With this half marathon on a Monday, it is a tough one to figure out. I'm taking tomorrow off due to Christmas all day. Here's the plan (I think).

1. Tuesday--5 mi
2. Wednes--3.5 mi
3. Thurs--off
4. Fri--3.5 mi
5. Sat--2-3 mi jog
6. Sun--rest
7. Half Marathon!

Unless someone has a better idea, I think this should do the trick.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment